Festive (kinda) Printmaking - Nesting Dolls





For this piece, I intended to create cute designs to mount and print. I've done printmaking before and I really wanted to do something interesting for this one. I accomplished this by carving into a linoleum plate and using it as a whole stamp. I used different colors of ink and a brayer to create my prints. My artwork is about interesting composition, gradients, and colors. The most difficult challenge I had to face was the actual carving. I cut my finger on the linoleum gouge and it was sometimes frustrating to get all the little details. It was all worth it though because I'm very happy with the results. I met these challenges by being more careful with the gouge and using a tiny gouge nib for little details. My prints really work with the black on top of the gradients. I think they turned out well and it creates a nice dramatic effect. I've learned more about printmaking techniques and I plan to do more in the future. I also want to do more things with gradients. My mentors were past students who've done the same things. I got inspired looking at their old work and I really enjoyed them. A fellow student that I admire is Ashley. I really liked how her prints turned out and I admire her work ethic. If I had to do-over anything, I would try to create more gradients with different colors. I would also try to carve different patterns. For this piece, I feel best about the gradients I created and the final black-on-color prints. I feel really good about them and it feels good to create something nice and simple like this.

Comments

Popular Posts